Tale of "undiscovered" Africa, savannah, safari and annoying questions.


Let me paraphrase one of the famous quotes by an individual whose name I do not recall, it goes something like this "There is nothing like stupid question". Well, I do believe that a person who asks question he/she does not know an answer to is actually an inquisitive lot. On the other hand, there are questions that do not show curiosity but sheer ignorance or something closer to that. 

One term that makes me think more than I actually do is "undiscovered Africa". Africa, apparently is undiscovered, a term that is overused. And Africa in this context may not necessarily refer to a continent but any country within the continent, you see its easier to say Africa than Burkina Faso or its Capital Ougadogou. I honestly cannot say what are the expectations of non-Africans when they plan to come and pay the continent a visit. However, I can say that I have had a share of interesting questions that Google has an answer to directed towards me. See, geography is simple you do not have to pin point where Senegal is located on the continent, but it is important to know that it is in the West of Africa and not South or in a bad situation on the shores of Indian Ocean. Well, as an African, when someone blurts out, "You know Africa is undiscovered" I tend to think of a far place where human contact and interaction is limited, where everyday lifestyle is incomprehensible to the rest of humanity, and I, as an African probably live in a state of trance. Enough with Africa and discovery I want to talk about safari and savannah. Honestly the continent's environment is not predominantly savannah grasslands and safari is limited to Sub-Sahara regions nothing more to say here.

"Africa is full of AIDS, Can I get Malaria by drinking water here?, do you think I have yellow fever?, Well, Libya and Morocco is not really Africa" some of the questions I try my best to answer by simply nodding and agreeing with the person. It takes a few times before someone is worn out by what I will refer to as stupid questions, yes, there are questions that are unbelievably stupid! With the existence of online sources that can provide basic information on anything, I do not see the reason as to why someone will ask me as a Kenyan if I know someone in Nigeria or if I speak African, this is not curiosity but ignorance of highest order. 

It is easy to see someone's attitude and perceptions towards a place and its population by the way they react to an incident that does not require any form of reaction apart from "aha" maybe?. To begin with, I find it quite offensive when a person you expect a lot from because you assume they are knowledgeable turn out to be the opposite and  quite culturally insensitive as well. One thing for sure I do not get the concept of using hand sanitizers every now and then while you do not do that back in your own city. Well, I assume that this is because Africa is "full of AIDS, and germs", something that does not exist anywhere else on the planet. Paranoia of getting sick on this godforsaken place where everything can harm you especially if you are not native has somehow made some people quite retarded I can say. HIV/AIDS cannot be acquired through handshake nor pressing buttons in the lift, but somehow someone thinks so, so sad.  

Development is relative and so is wealth but understanding, cultural sensitivity and respect is not. It's something you have or not, it is universal and engrained in most of the society around the World. Disrespect, disregard and undervaluation of a culture, environment and people's contribution to their society is just not wrong but stupid as well. 


Sometimes, I tend to think that anyone who habours ignorance and disregard for the local culture should not be allowed to come to the country. And as an African, Kenyan, I would be quite happy not to deal with ignorant questions thrown at me. I say "thrown" because trust me those questions feel like a slap in the face of not just mine but of human race as a whole.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of London conference on Somalia

Perspectives: Why has Africa grown slowly?

State ineffectiveness in DRC