Everyday life, Part 1


"Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" Gandalf, in response to "Good morning" by Bilbo Buggins.

Before I came to Baku, I never really knew much about the city and its inhabitants. I didn't know anyone who have lived here, nor did I have any stereotypes about the place. I came with an open mind and heart, with my main goal being attaining of MA degree, make friends and finally head back to Kenya (The weather is better back at home, I wouldn't trade it for anything).  Of course the city would be nothing but structures if not for the people living here. and I have met kind people who have welcomed me and my friends into their homes and introduced us to Azerbaijani hospitality.

It is very bad and unethical to judge the whole nation by the act of crazy amongst them and I am not. this crazies on the street that I encounter literally everyday on my way to campus will never erode the image I have of the kind and inviting families I have met and dined with in Baku.

Before my roommate and I leave the apartment early in the morning to attend class, mornings and evenings are just time of the day that signals my arrival and departure from campus, not an adventure at all. however, in Baku, Azerbaijan's biggest and most metropolitan city, a week will not pass by without me equating my experiences to some form of badly written adventure novel where the main character experiences mild rage most of the times with no promise of things getting better anytime soon. I have mastered the art of walking fast while entirely looking down without paying attention to my surroundings, but occasionally someone will yell, laugh or simply point fingers while laughing or signalling their friends to turn so that they can have a look at this alien like creature, walking fast with her hands in her coat!

With this kind of behaviour and sheer ignorance and dismay that I encounter, nothing shields me from all this than the bubble I have created. This bubble of mine shields me albeit not very well, from this events. I simply do this.
1. pretend to be deaf
2.never look at anyone on the street
3. Master my route and walk fast (I am a Kenyan, I am good at this!!)
4. never use Metro unless I am with a friend, and occasionally dissuade them from doing so!

Its just natural that one creates their own bubble to protect them from the outside environment that might pose a threat. Unfortunately this is not what I expected when I left Kenya. growing up in a very diverse environment, the thought of being stared at (stupidly), pointed at, never crossed my mind, leave alone being followed! In the beginning, the joy of being in a different country with a different culture was fascinating and blinding at the same time! I never paid much attention to things around me, I was glad to be around. But things do change, and change is not always that good either! Previously, I would be on campus, whether I had classes or not, currently, my apartment is the only place where my bubble is intact (preferably with bar of chocolate, yoghurt and internet) where no one will burst it.

This is just a little part of my daily experience! 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of London conference on Somalia

Perspectives: Why has Africa grown slowly?

State ineffectiveness in DRC